Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Update from Steve

September 4, 2011

Hello everyone,

Please forgive me for not providing an update on Julie sooner than this. As you can well imagine, my activities have been entirely focused on Julie and Emelie and I can honestly say that I have not had a chance whatsoever to sit down and write an update on her health until now. I hope you understand.
Julie has been on hospice care at home since her release from the hospital August 11. The wonderful people with hospice have provided a hospital bed and all the other accompanying items we need to keep her as comfortable and independent as possible. It is Julie’s strong desire that she stay at home the duration of her illness and I intend to honor her desire no matter what.

Unfortunately, Julie’s pancreatic cancer is spreading much quicker than any of us or her doctors could imagine. I asked her nurse today what the doctors are saying about her life expectancy, and they are telling me that she has “weeks” and at the most, two months longer to live. While this is devastating news for Emelie and I, we just want her to be as pain-free and comfortable as possible while she is still with us.

Julie is on a morphine pump which administers a constant dose of morphine into her body to assist in pain control. Additionally, she can push a button attached to the pump, allowing her to have more morphine if she feels additional pain. Over the past three weeks, we have had to raise her constant dose of morphine several times to keep up with her increasing pain. We are doing everything possible to keep ahead of this debilitating pain she is experiencing. Additionally, she has several anti-nausea medicines to help her cope with the terrible nausea she is experiencing from the tumors goofing up her digestive system.

Julie has not been able to eat or drink anything at all since the beginning of June due to the problems caused by her cancer. Currently, she is on I.V. feeding through a “pick line” which delivers nutrition into her bloodstream rather than into her digestive system. This seems to be working and is meeting her nutritional needs. I do not expect her to be able eat or drink normally again. We are thankful to be able to give her this type of nutrition here at home.

Now, enough of the bad news and technical information. However, I do want you to be informed of what we are facing here. Despite everything, Julie’s attitude is fantastic. She is upbeat, positive, and is determined to stay as independent and good-humored as she has always been. The heavy medication she is on causes her to say some funny things and we have a good laugh about them together. Julie’s niece came on Friday to highlight her hair, and she still gets up every day and showers and dresses herself as well as fixes her hair. She continues to be the spiritual center of our family and makes sure we do all we can to stay strong.

Julie, Emelie and I spend as much time together as we can. When awake, Julie is alert and able to converse normally, although again, she does say some odd things now and then. Our extended family, church members, friends and community have been a tremendous blessing to us and we are truly in their debt for all the wonderful things and service they have provided. We feel completely overwhelmed (in a good way) by the outpouring of love, prayers, support, and everything else they have given us during this difficult time. To each of you, Thank you from the bottom of our hearts. We love and cherish you and appreciate you more than we can properly express in mere words.

5 Comments:

At September 7, 2011 at 2:01 PM , Blogger WizeTrize said...

Steve, Julie and Emelie,

Jan and I are so glad you guys (y'all) have this.

Hey I am just hearing of this fundraiser. I would like to donate something if not too late. I am a professional chocolatier, trained at the Barry Callebaut Ecole' Chocolat. I buy my chocolat from Belgium. I would like to donate 2 dozen of my Salted Butter Caramels. I dip 1/2 in 38% Milk Chocolat and 1/2 in 54% Dark Chocolat then I sprinkle a specialty Lemon Sea Salt on top for both visual and culinary gourmet flavor appeal. I would need only a 2 week lead time as to where and to whom to send them. I need to order materials and I use the weekend to make them as this is not my profession (yet).

 
At September 7, 2011 at 2:02 PM , Blogger WizeTrize said...

"Wizetrize" is the name of an old company I owned. This is Ben. Don't know how to make that go away?

 
At September 7, 2011 at 5:47 PM , Blogger brookie said...

I am a friend of Julie and Steve's from Virginia. Thank you so much for this blog and the updates it really means a lot.

 
At September 7, 2011 at 9:01 PM , Blogger Julie said...

Yes, thank you so much for updating us when you can, Steve. Is Julie up to having visitors?

 
At September 9, 2011 at 12:39 AM , Blogger Bob Gray said...

Thanks for being our friends and for your love. You and Julie and Emily mean so much to us. We haved joked and loved each other for years, and Julie and her " Cat " friends will live in our hearts forever and all eternity. It was so very special to be able to see you all the other day, and especially to be able to hug Julie once more. We are available for anything at any time. Please use us, because it brings us closer to you. We love you with all our hearts. Bob & Shawna Gray (The Chief & Queen )

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home